Saturday 8 December 2012

Alternative advent calendar #8


1. Lost Christmas by David Logan

A couple of week's ago I noticed an article on the Guardian website featuring Eddie Izzard, in it Izzard talks about Lost Christmas as he is starring in the adaptation of it.  Lost Christmas is a young adult book and follows the life of Goose, whose one seemingly insignificant action leads to devastating consequences.  Mysterious stranger Antony (to be played by Eddie Izzard) enters Gooses' life when he is at his lowest ebb and the two go on a 'journey of discovery' together.  Have I made this sound naff enough?  It's not but there is no hiding the fact that this is a 'journey of discovery' type book.  I don't think this book will blow you out of the water but it did bring a little festive cheer, it's young adult fiction and sometimes that means the plot is predictable but no less enjoying.

2. My Family and Other Disasters by Lucy Mangan

Pfft.  I have never read the work of someone so highly regarded by their editor whose articles are so dreary and hateful of almost everything.  Not hateful in a racist, sexist, ignorant type of hateful way, but more a stark, condescending observation of people who might have fun, or feel joy.  Mangan pities these people because clearly these people are stupid for they don't like to stay in their flats or homes reading books like she does.  Jeeeez this one got binned.

3. A Week in December by Sebastien Faulks

This one isn't crossed through because I didn't enjoy it, I didn't finish it because my Kindle arrived and it was unceremoniously shoved back on the 'to read' pile whilst I revelled in the soft glow of a backlit e-reader *cozy*.

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Ahh John Green, I'm resisting the temptation to go all misty eyed and I'm stopping myself staring off into the distance whilst I think about how much I love his books.  Once again Green has written what can only really be described as a modern classic.  The subject matter will make you cry, you will care about the characters, you will enjoy the story, if you haven't read his books before but do on the basis of this or any of my previous recommendations you will thank me for it, and most importantly you will have found a new favourite author.  A quote for your viewing pleasure:

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in the world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you.  I like my choices.  I hope she likes hers."

If you have 3.47 minutes to spare watch this video of John Green recommending books.

5. Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

So I tried describing this book to MozzyMr and when talk of detectives consulting with ghosts and the whole idea of a London filled with magic came up he thought it sounded bobbins.  WRONG!  I loved this book, it's like Harry Potter for adults based in London not Hogwarts, expect it's nothing like Harry Potter and there is lots more murdering afoot.  I was delighted to find that it isn't a stand alone book it's part of a series of three, hazaar!  Put this book of your Christmas wish list you won't be disappointed!

6. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Sensing a John Green theme?  Will Grayson, Will Grayson has me caught up with everything that I am aware of John Green writing, so frankly the man needs to step up and release another book.  This time in collaboration with Levithan the two authors explore the lives of teenage boys Will Grayson, and Will Grayson.  The first Will Grayson has Tiny, his overweight but uber fabulous out-and-out gay best friend, whilst the second Will Grayson is only just coming out whilst dealing with a case of serious cyber bullying.  Green in all of his books deals with some of the very serious issues that teenagers face, but writes about them in such a normal and human way, not in an overtly Hollywood 'look how they've overcome adversity' type way *insert montage here*.

Books 1, 4, 5 and 6 listed here would make great Christmas reading so if you have a bit of spare cash, treat yourself to one of them, if you're stuck for something to buy as a gift buy a book, one of these or any book!  Buy them from an actual book shop where you can go and talk to people who really love reading and can tell you what they've enjoyed reading.  I know I bestow the virtues of the Kindle but I won't give up the smell of a new book for anyone and will be pressing my face into an actual book or two over the Christmas holiday!

1 comment:

  1. I've just started reading my first book on the Kindle app.... feels a bit odd! I like the sound of the London book, off to check it out :) x

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...