Sunday 26 May 2013

A month of reading

Err... excuse me but where has May gone?  Between work stresses, putting time in on the allotment and frankly doing all of those day-to-day chores that I love so much the time is flying by!  I've been using my reading time as relax-o time, and remember you can't spell relax-o without relax.

1. The Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

This book in many ways was written about my friend Charlotte and I.  Set in 1999 it tells the story of two friends who work at the same company and exchange emails, unfortunately their emails regularly end up in the flagged file of the IT department and it is the job of Lincoln to send warnings to the people whose emails get flagged, only Lincoln doesn't send warnings to Jennifer or Beth because he finds them funny and because he has become invested in their story.  I really enjoyed this book, the late nineties references and the humour of the characters.  So this week when Charlotte emailed me to say that the second of her cucumbers had germinated and now the two plants could sex each other up I face palmed as I imagined a big flashing red light and alarm going off in the IT department.  Sorry IT folk we usually email about work, but when cucumbers can sex each other up that really is news to share!  (I hasten to add that I'm talking about cucumber PLANTS no lewd connotations here thank you.)

2. The Most Beautiful Thing by Fiona Robyn

Hmm I'm really unsure about this book.  I didn't dislike it at all, and found it very easy to read but I can't really outline why I did like it.  It's a story set in Amsterdam and follows Joe Salt from early teenager to surly adult.  The story slowly unravels his family history and the secrets that have gone untold for decades, a bit predictable really and the plot twist was oh so obvious.  On Good Reads this book got really great reviews so it might just be me, but I just didn't think it was that amazing really.

3. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

Ok here's the thing I finished this book on the 12th May and I cannot remember anything about the story or characters or anything.  I think that probably tells you everything you need to know.


1 comment:

  1. May has just flown by, I can't believe I've been off for a month! Well done for reading 3 books, I've been really slow this month. I love the story of you & Charlotte! xx

    ReplyDelete

Comment is free!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...